Copy mastermind and revered marketer Rory Sutherland will deliver a talk on Summit day that you won’t want to miss.
In the meantime, we posed 11 random questions to Rory. Interesting stuff we’d all want to know. Our aim: to delve a little deeper into the mind of Britain’s most famous ad man. Move over Don Draper… Rory’s in town!
This year’s Summit is taking place on Thursday 16th July at Tobacco Dock in London. You can get your tickets here.
1. Tell us about a cause you’re passionate about.
The promotion of videoconferencing and flexible working.
2. What was your favorite subject at school and why?
Greek (Ancient). Specifically Homer. Human truths reaching out to you across 2,500 years.
3. What’s your favorite Netflix series?
Narcos. I re-watch random episodes every week.
4. If you could drop everything right now for a holiday, where would you go?
New Mexico or Arizona.
5. Tell us an interesting fact.
The girl dancing in the opening credits of the James Bond film Die Another Day is my third cousin.
6. What’s your go-to curry on the takeaway menu?
My overall favorite is the Helim Akhbari at Salloo in London. But Lamb Xacutti is a more widely available favorite.
7. What is the first rule of marketing?
8. Please tell us where you ate your favorite roast dinner, ever.
A steakhouse in Chicago called Gibson’s.
9. Name the best marketing campaign to date.
De Beers’ A Diamond is Forever.
10. What’s going to be the next big thing in marketing?
A return to mass media.
11. What’s the most valuable lesson you ever learned?
Most things are quite random – we attach meaning and narrative coherence to them afterwards.
Don’t miss Rory’s keynote at this year’s Summit. You can get your tickets here.