When I ask clients why they’re not yet using marketing automation, the top reasons are either data gaps or a lack of available time/budget.
Minor Entertainment Ltd was one of those organizations who hadn’t yet realized the potential of marketing automation. The company specializes in spectacular family theater events, with its most famous being In the Night Garden Live which typically tours UK cities from May to August.
Before introducing marketing automation to its communications strategy, Minor Entertainment Ltd used to collect ticket information via a third-party data warehouse which offered a limited integration with dotmailer. The lack of integration meant that its marketing team were forced to manually send emails to ticket holders to let them know about the event, location and merchandising available, which was becoming extremely time consuming.
After an initial data assessment, we identified a way to improve the current custom integration so it’d provide the data we needed to build our marketing automation. We named the program the ‘Get Ready automation’ because the communications it delivers are aimed at prepping ticketholders about their upcoming show. Using dotmailer and the newly enabled flow of data, the program automatically triggers a series of personalized emails providing people with the right information at the right times.
What were the results?
The Get Ready program has resulted in huge efficiencies, reducing human error to zero. We’ve estimated that the company is now saving around 50 hours of admin time a year; not only a significant cost saving but it’s enabling the marketing team to focus on more fun and productive activities.
Jenni McNally, who’s the Marketing Manager at Minor Entertainment Ltd, commented on the results of the work: “We are delighted with our new automation program. It has saved us an enormous amount of admin time.”
How can I get marketing automation off the ground?
If you’re an extremely busy team, making time to save time is often the hardest part. Here are a few things to consider to help you on your journey to smarter marketing:
- Find the right tool: the program builder is available in every dotmailer account and it’s easy to use. Here’s a link to our automation videos to show you how to get started.
- Plan: if you’re super busy, draw up a priority list of automations and build them into long-term plan. Having a roadmap will help you to keep on track and avoid getting overwhelmed. As they say, a goal without a plan is just a wish!
- Improve: start simple and build up as you go. Build, measure, learn and repeat.
Here’s a list of automations to get your started:
- Welcome series: introduce new subscribers to your brand, with a series of emails that move prospects closer towards a purchase.
- Transactional programs: spice up functional transactional emails, like order confirmations, so they’re inspiring and better promote your brand.
- Post-purchase programs: build trust in your brand and help new customers get the most out of their product with helpful, relevant content.
- Abandoned cart program: rescue lost sales by reminding customers who’ve left items in their cart to come back and complete the purchase.
- Abandoned browse programs: use web behavioural tracking with automation to send follow-up emails with content based on what users have browsed.
- Product replenishment programs: remind customers to re-stock with automated emails when you have a good idea that their supplies are dwindling.
- Customer retention programs: from loyalty programs to brand-building content, you can automate emails that keep your brand front of mind.
- Recommendation and upsell programs: use customers’ past purchase and web browsing behaviour to automate product recommendation and upsell emails.
- Lost customer programs: reduce your attrition rate by using automated programs to send incentives to buy again or capture why they left.
- Date-driven programs: use the valuable data you have to get in touch during different times of the year, such as ‘happy birthday’ emails.
Get your free copy of our ‘Making time to save time’ guide which’ll put you on the path to marketing automation:
Should you need any help to create your automation roadmap or in getting your programs set up, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your Account Manager. We offer Automation Kickstarters, custom integrations and collaborative implementation workshops.