Not too long ago, our in-house consultant Gavin Laugenie hosted a dotlive on the top 5 automation programs B2B companies should be doing, the reasons why and the results you can expect to yield from them. Below are the top 5 ROI-generating automation programs with tips on how to approach them.
1. Welcome program
Your welcome program is your chance to make a lasting impression; thank customers for engaging, set the expectations for the relationship and provide some valuable content to get the ball rolling.
- Give your contacts a good first impression of your brand by outlining the types of communications they’re likely to receive
- Use this as an opportunity to find out more about their interests through a preference center; in aggregating this valuable insight you can build a strong profile of subscribers and power relevant content that’ll keep them engaged
2. Product-based program
Your product-focused program allows you to personalize marketing communications depending on the stage contacts are at in the purchasing cycle. Push different types of content that resonate with them, supercharging their engagement and intent to buy.
- Understand where people are in the buying journey
- Timing is key: find out the optimum time of sending an email
- Make sure the campaign is responsive on different devices and is easily readable/scannable
- Relevancy of content: include dynamic content where possible (people have different reasons for buying). Segment based on data-fields and email behavior you hold on subscribers
3. Nurture program
Your nurture program is an essential component of your marketing strategy; drive valuable content to your subscribers on a steady basis to convert them at the right time. Contextualizing your messages is key.
- Planning is crucial; you must be aware of what contacts will receive at each stage
- Understand the results – use reporting to stay informed on how your emails are performing, helping you identify what’s working and what isn’t
- Use contact scoring to understand customers. Identify those who are receptive and who aren’t; it’s much more cost-effective to keep a client happy rather than to win them back or acquire a new one
4. Retention program
Maximize customer longevity with your retention program. Drive key benefits – placing your brand front-of-mind – and you’ll strengthen existing customer relationships and foster true advocacy.
- Give customers a reason to stay, what are the benefits?
- Reward them for their loyalty
- Perhaps even include a win-back strategy if they have an ‘at risk’ status, for example (our contact scoring tool can help you easily identify this)
5. Event program
An event program reinforces all your other marketing automation efforts. Spark interest among your subscribers by promoting events that complement their preferences through segmentation.
- Segment your data based on geo-location and areas of interest; it’ll provide insight on who to target and help reduce no-shows
- Perhaps give them an attendee status – make them feel special enough to want to attend and flag those who have already been to an event
- Always ask for feedback and learn what you’re doing/not doing well to continuously improve and encourage attendance
You may already be aware of the above points, however it should help reinforce why these programs are important, how to approach them and the results you’re likely to expect.
If you would like more information on the types of automation programs you could implement, please contact your account manager or download our best practice guide on unlocking the power of B2B automation.